Quick definition: A domesticated feline, sometimes kept as a pet.
The Cat (Felis silvestris catus), also known as the Domestic Cat or House Cat to
distinguish it from other felines, is a small carnivorous species of mammal that is
often valued by humans for its companionship and its ability to hunt vermin. It has
been associated with humans for at least 9,500 years.
English idioms and proverbs with cat
- It’s raining cats and dogs.
- Don’t let the cat out of the bag.
- While the cat’s away, the mice will play.
- Cat’s got your tongue.
- There’s more than one way to skin a cat.
- Play cat and mouse.
- (Don’t forget to) wind the clock and put the cat out.
- It’s the cat’s meow. (old-fashioned)
See examples of cat in context on ESLgold.: