In order to practice English listening skills, we recommend 3 things:
1. Good listening materials.
- Short, realistic, a little higher than your level
- Podcasts are great for practicing listening.
- Check out these websites for audio practice.
- Videos can also be useful for improving skills.
- Many textbooks have audio recordings and exercises.
2. Background information.
- Know something about the topic beforehand
- Prepare your mind by thinking about the topic ahead of time.
- Think about vocabulary you might encounter.
- Predict what language and information you might hear.
3. Good listening techniques.
- Listen for general and specific information
- Listen the first time to get the gist (general idea)
- Listen a second time for specific details.
- Have a purpose or something to listen for
- Listen a third time to review what you have learned.