What you need to know about Collocations in English
What are collocations?
- Collocations are words that are commonly used together in a language.
- In English, they often consist of verbs and prepositions, but other words may be used as well.
- An example of a collocation is the phrase “be fond of.“
- We would never say “I fond chocolate” to express our meaning.
- We need to include the words “be” before and “of” after the word “fond” in these types of sentences.
- ESLgold provides extensive lists of verbs and prepositions used in collocations.
- These are especially helpful for students learning English as a second language.
Please check out the lists below:
Verb and Preposition Collocations
Preposition Collocations with “Be”
See full list here.