Short excerpt from America’s Library article:
It’s been called the largest human migration in American history. Do you know what that refers to?
I. Vocabulary words from this article:
Click here for vocabulary matching exercise.
II. Pre-Reading Questions
What was it like to travel before trains, cars, and airplanes?
Would you be willing to travel 1,300 miles on foot?
What would cause people to make such a journey?
IV. Post-Reading Questions
True or False?
1. Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are known as Mormons
2. In 1869, 70,000 people traveled to Salt Lake City, Utah.
3. Six thousand people died while making the journey.
4. A total of 149 people arrived in Brigham Young’s group.
5. The Mormons left the eastern United States because
a. they wanted to leave their own community
b. they wanted to follow 70,000 people
c. they wanted to get away from persecution
d. they wanted their own western band
Click for Answers.