1. Pictures and associations
- For beginners, seeing groups of related words can help.
- See our picture dictionary.
2. Context and Exposure
Choose from a variety of sources
3. Understand Word Parts (prefixes, suffixes, roots)
- See our word parts lists here.
4. Recognize collocations (words that go together)
- Some words are commonly used with other words
- See our lists of collocations: with verbs, with prepositions.
5. Consider connotations and multiple meanings of words
- Some words carry special or emotional meanings
- Example: house vs. home
- Some words can have many different meanings
- Example: play, set, run